Latest updates from the campaign:
Milpitas business leader announces candidacy for Council
Offering a bold, new vision for the City of Milpitas, long-time resident and business leader Suraj Viswanathan has announced his candidacy for City Council in the November 3 election.
A proud immigrant from India, co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer of several local start-ups and Chairman of the Bay Area Cricket Alliance ( BACA ), Suraj has been an active community volunteer involved with school athletics and programs focused on children and adults with special needs. He has also served on the committee that sponsored the largest school bond in California history.
Suraj has identified five major issues for his platform for the 2020 campaign:
- COVID-19. He calls for developing a citywide “rapid-response” team to address future health care crises
- ECONOMIC RECOVERY. He calls for creating an “Economic Recovery Fund” to be used to provide emergency short-term loans to local businesses in the event of another pandemic or natural disaster.
- PUBLIC SAFETY. He calls for focusing law enforcement assets on “hot spots” and increasing patrols in neighborhoods impacted by gang violence. He also calls for developing a system to monitor and deter criminal activity associated with BART.
- AFFORDABLE HOUSING. He calls for a complete review of existing city tax, fee, zoning, and regulatory structures to make it easier and less expensive for developers to build affordable housing and “starter” homes for young people.
- INFRASTRUCTURE. He calls for a greater emphasis on long-term planning and investment for maintenance and upkeep of roads, streets, parks, and sewers and harnessing modern technologies to relieve traffic congestion at peak times.
A graduate of Anna University in Chennai, India, Suraj is married with two children.